  Train kept a'rollin'...
  That voodoo that we do...
  Day off in Munich...
  Last day in Germany
  London today, LA tomorrow ...
  Looking at you from Lowell

10/2/00 - Konocti to Canada...

Hello from Konocti Harbor,

Last night was the final outdoor show of their summer series of concerts here. We discovered this amazing hideaway on Clear Lake tucked in the mountains of Northern California when we were invited to perform here on our 1997 tour and last night was our 4th time to perform. People came from hundreds of miles around to enjoy the perfect weather, the beauty of the hillsides that disappear into the sparkling mountain lake, and at the end of the day the music of STYX. As I mentioned last night, I hope they don't get tired of us because I have a feeling we will be coming back!

There was a PBS video crew here following up on their documentary of our crew and so it was no surprise when they followed us up to the stage as the opening music played. We were stretching, and warming up our voices as usual. I bent down on one knee, stretching out my left leg when I heard and felt a big rrrrrip! Split my pants, and I mean good! Uh-oh. As we took the stage all I could do was laugh. I admit the ventilation was refreshing, but hardly appropriate for my usual stances on stage, so I modified my behavior accordingly until we got through the first three songs, then made a mad dash behind the amp wall. Our crew was waiting with a new pair of pants and helped me strip away and unhook my wireless belt pack, sandals and all so that I could get back before the next song. As I was frantically getting naked backstage I heard JY announce my dilemma to the audience and we all had a good laugh as the guys helped put me back together. JY started "Lorelei" as I was getting my sandals back on and I made it back just in time to join in on the second half of the verse. Ah, the mysteries and unexpected things that happen during a live performance!

The night before we performed at the Los Angeles County Fair in Pomona, about 30 minutes east of downtown LA. I have driven by the Fairplex exit many times but never been there. If you were there, I'll bet you were as surprised as Jeanne and I were at just how HUGE this place was. Even after we got off at the exit, the traffic was three lanes on either side and inched along for another half hour just to get back stage. The stage itself was portable, and was set with lights and sound and full band gear during the afternoon while races were held on the spot where we would be performing later. After the races were cleared, a huge John Deere tractor towed the stage to a spot on the track facing the center of the grandstand. Seats were set on the floor between us and the stands and the crowd was allowed in. Half the seats were sold in advance and the rest were general admission, and so when the 10,000 seat capacity was met, security was there with bullhorns turning away people who were too far back in line. What a scene! I wish we could have squeezed everyone in, because it was an amazing night. Since it was just STYX performing we were able to play a longer show and created a special set just for the evening. It was fun to see people I had invited; the waitresses at the local restaurant where Jeanne and I have breakfast, and many others to whom WE are usually THEIR customers. Fun, fun fun! And by 11:30 we were back home. Slept in our own bed. You gotta love that!

So last night was our last show in the USA for a few weeks. This morning I will fly to Montreal to meet JY and Lawrence for three days of Canadian publicity there in Montreal and Toronto. We are looking forward to the long awaited shows there. After that, we all go home (LA, New Jersey, Toronto, Chicago) for one day to change out our suitcases and head for Frankfort, Germany the next morning. This too is a long awaited return. 19 years since we last performed there. We will be basically reintroducing ourselves to a new generation of STYX fans, and we cannot wait!

Life is good here in the land of the Brave New World. We wish the same for all of you. To our American fans, see you in November!

© 2000 STYX and ArtSite Design. All original photos in site design by MARK WEISS/ANGLES

Archived Website
www.styxworld.com
Changes made based on integrity of resources